Monday, August 9, 2021

Connecting with other researchers to find Hannah Filer's photo

 I must say I was rather obsessed with Eliza's 'Hannah Filer' photo.  The photo is very clear and I studied Hannah's placid and kind face.  The photo quality is such that she and I can make eye contact.  I liked her.  I zoomed in to have a look at her belt buckle, the shape of her finger nails, her collar pin.  I guessed Hannah was about 40 years old when the photo was taken, so about 1908.

 I had to believe this was Hannah Filer because the lightly pencilled name on the back of the photo couldn't be an unassociated scribble.  Could it?  She had become 'my Hannah'.
 
 With the 2010 posting on the Tredegar forum, my research into the Filer family stagnated.  I had no other ideas of how I could locate a photo of Hannah.  Time to let the fishing lines I had set out drift in the currents. 

Photo in Eliza's Album c1908
Photo belonging to Hannah Filer's
great grandson which confirms
name in Eliza's album


 December 2012 I noticed a new poster on Ancestry who listed the Filer family I knew from doing document research.  Eric had joined Ancestry 6 weeks previously so I sent him a message through Ancestry.  Luckily he answered.  Some people don't.  'My Hannah Filer' was his great great grandmother!   

 I sent another message, holding my breath.  Hoping he would answer again.  Do you have a photo of Hannah?  He sent a drawing.  Jaw dropping time for me as it was a face I knew from Eliza's album - my Hannah Filer!  Take a look – Hannah in the drawing is wearing  a similar top and collar pin  as in the photo and just look at those kind eyes and serene smile.  I now had the correct Hannah Filer, my paternal 1st cousin 3x removed and Eric, a new 4th cousin.  

 Remember I suggested to tick the box that you want email notifications when there is a new posting to your Community Forum query?  September 2016 I was notified by email that there was a new posting to my Tredegar Forum posting on Hannah Filer.  Tim responded that he is the great grandson of Hannah Filer's father, Samuel Filer.  Fabulous.  A new 4th cousin.  Collecting cousins becomes addicting.  Tim did not have photos of Hannah but he had some of Hannah's father Samuel and other family members.  The Filer family was taking real shape.
 
 I found Eric just over two years after my concerted efforts to locate a photo of Hannah.  Tim replied to my Tredegar Forum query a little short of six years after my posting.  Sometimes you just have to be patient.
 
 I've now confirmed that the one photo in Eliza's album which was named, is truly Hannah Filer.  Since Hannah is there, surely there must be a photo of her twin sister Elizabeth Filer.  There is another photo of Hannah Filer in the album, so one more photo has a name.  A total of five photos named.  112 more photos to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment